Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Best of...Restaurants Around Campus!  (Read 7310 times)

JHU_Trisha

• Hopkins Student
Best of...Restaurants Around Campus!
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:39 pm »
As a food fanatic, I absolutely love finding new places to eat near school to add variety to my diet (especially when the FFC -the Fresh Foods Cafe on campus- gets too boring). My friend and I recently tried Donna's, a cute restaurant close by. For Valentine's Day, it had the most adorable decorations! It also happens to have AMAZING food. I had butternut squash risotto- enough said. Their cappuccinos and cupcakes are also great.

The Best of topic for this week is the best nearby eateries! What do you guys suggest?
JHU_Trisha
Neuroscience
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Brian

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:12 am »
One of my local favorites is Chaps Pit Beef - http://www.chapspitbeef.com/

It's about 15 minutes away and a local Baltimore favorite. It's pretty affordable and the meats are all roasted right on site. So delicious. It started in the 80s in this small shack with no telephone or electric. Same place but they have a phone and lights now.
JHU_Brian
WSE '12
Environmental Engineering
Follow me on twitter or check out my forum thread.

"A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd

JHU_Keith

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:26 am »
There are tons of good places to eat within walking distance of campus, but if you're looking for a place to relax, have unlimited coffee, and get the biggest plate of nachos you've ever seen, then One World Cafe is definitely the place to go. One World is right across the street from Homewood Stadium and is fast, cheap, and organic. Definitely a must-go for any environmental, semi-hippie looking for good food and a great atmosphere!
Keith S.
Class of 2011
Global Environmental Change and Sustainability
Twitter: JHU_Keith

JHU_Josh

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:55 am »
In terms of places to go, you'll frequently find me at CVP (Charles Village Pub) or The Dizz.  But I also love Golden West in Hampden.
Josh
Class of 2011
Film and Media Studies

Check out the blog:
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/josh

JHU_Lucie

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:06 am »
Carma's Cafe!!!!  I went there for lunch today.  Yum.  And it's only one block down from the Johns Hopkins Barnes and Noble!
-JHU_Lucie
Read my blog: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/lucie/
Watch my "Learn More, See More, B'More" videos: http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/videos/

JHU_Noah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:14 am »
I love Chipotle. Okay, so it's not some little, charming, unique place...but it's glorious.

I also love Woodbury Kitchen! Watch the "Learn More, See More, B'more" episode about it when it comes out!!!
Noah Guiberson
Molecular & Cellular Biology/Neuroscience
Class of 2014
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JHU_Noah
Ask me a question: http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2014/meet-jhu_noah/

JHU_Dominique

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 01:17 am »
I live above One World and have yet to eat there...oops :blink:

Chocolatea is pretty cooll...they have exotic flavors of tea and hot chocolate and they use real stuff. Like, I got a hot chocolate once and I couldn't eat for a day and a half...it was still in my stomach. I swear they must have melted a dark chocolate bar to make that thing..
JHU_Dominique
c/o 2012 , Public Health Studies Major; Africana Studies Minor

Ask me a question! http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2012/meet-jhu_dominique-baltimore-md/

Read my bloggity-blog: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/dominique/

JHU_Sydney

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:44 am »
Papermoon Diner is the way to go. Good food, and GREAT decorations. :)
JHU_Sydney :)
Class of 2014
Biomedical Engineering major
Applied Mathematics & Statistics Major

Like to procrastinate? Read my blog! http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/sydney/

And then ask me some questionsssss. http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2014/meet-jhu_sydney-elm-grove-wi/

JHU_Lauren

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:28 am »
During Baltimore Restaurant Week this year, my friends and I went to Hampden for brunch at this new restaurant called Alchemy. It's a small place and it's very trendy - brick walls, cocktails, perfect lighting, even the bowls/plates they use to serve food are shaped funky. Keep an eye out for new restaurants popping up all the time - they're always worth a try.

But my favorite place around campus to eat is still a toss-up between Pete's Grill (an award-winning breakfast spot and only place in Baltimore I've found to cook scrapple just right) and CVP (Charles Village Pub, which serves classic bar food with its own signatures here and there).
lauren *
HOPKINS, CLASS OF 2011
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/lauren

"Leave something good in every day."

JHU_Tess

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 10:36 am »
I love to eat so much that I even wrote a blog about places to go to around campus!

Check it out at: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2014/2010/11/breaking-bread-in-b-town/
JHU_Tess
Class of 2014
History Major

Check out my blog here!
And find my forum here!

"If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."
- Mark Twain

JHU_Marina

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 10:41 am »
I'm absolutely obsessed with Carma's cafe in the corner of 32nd and St. Paul. I eat there at least three times a week (although during intersession I went every single day). It's a small mom and pop organic cafe that really reminds me of the restaurants in my hippie hometown, Ithaca, New York. Their food is delicious and nutritious and most of the ingredients they use are local and/or organic. I'd recommend the icelandic yogurt with homemade granola or the cookies!

My favorite type of food is Tapas and I've found a lot of amazing restaurants around Baltimore. My mother and I always go to Pazo in the Inner Harbor when she visits and recently I've been to Talara (Inner Harbor), which specializes in seviche, and Adela (Fells Point), which serves a traditional Spanish-style cuisine.

JHU_Nick

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 10:51 am »
I second Sydney with Paper Moon...I was there a few weeks ago and got a bacon milkshake. Yes, you heard me. A bacon milkshake.  No, it wasn't disgusting, it was actually pretty good!
Nick G.
Class of 2014
Computer Science/Economics
El Blogo

"If you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted, in one moment
Would you capture it? Or just let it slip?"
-Eminem

JHU_Saznin

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 11:01 am »
My favorite Baltimore eatery is Iggie's Pizza, which is a five minute walk from the Peabody JHMI stop in Mt. Vernon. They have amazing pizza, and it's nearly impossible to find a seat there on any given weekend. Awesome place to go with a big group of friends and a bottle of wine (if you're of age, that is)!
Check out their awesome menu: http://www.iggiespizza.com/
JHU_Saznin
Public Health, Class of 2012
Follow me on Twitter!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Miranda

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 11:24 am »
I'm in love with the bread pudding at Café Hon, in Hampden (and their mac n cheese is amazing too).
I also still love Tamber's, and never turn down a chance to eat there.
Paper Moon is lots of fun because of the atmosphere and the crazy decorations, and they have lots of crazy food combinations (like Nick's bacon milkshake) and wonderful French toast.
Miranda B.
Class of 2013
Political Science 
Africana Studies (minor)
Visit my blog!
Ask me a question!

JHU_Mandy

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 12:38 pm »
One World Cafe's weekend brunch is one of my absolute favorite meals in Baltimore.  They always have some kind of omelette special and a pancake/French toat/waffle special that are deeeeelicious.  It's a vegetarian/vegan restaurant and one of the only places my vegan friend will go to eat!

I also love Holy Frijoles in Hampden.  Some of their beans are a bit too spicy for my taste, but it's quite tasty otherwise.  Rocket to Venus is another fun little place in Hampden with a very quirky menu ranging from mussels to ribs to gnocchi, all at a very reasonable price.  

And of course I have to add my love for Carma's.  Definitely the best hot chocolate in the area and I love the interesting soups/paninis.  Okay -- last one! Maxie's has great pizza and pasta and for those days I'm especially craving carbs, they have spaghetti pizza which is like a pie filled with spaghetti.  So many delcious carbs!  (okay, so I haven't actually tried it, but one of my friends swears by it).
mandy
jhu class of 2011
public health studies
read my blog!

JHU_Clint

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 01:19 pm »
I really like Thai Restaurant (I know, it's a creative name, right?), they have really great Thai food and it has a fun atmosphere. My favorite dish is the Thai fried rice with shrimp!

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 02:19 pm »
I love all the restaurants in the Inner Harbor (which is easy to get to - take the free Collegetown Shuttle or a quick cab ride). I would have to say my most favorite is EDO Sushi. It is absolutely amazing and everything is so fresh. Other places I like to frequent is 5 Guys and Panera's, which are places that aren't right near Hopkins so my friends and I sometimes get cravings for those. So good!
JHU_Allysa
International Studies|Global Environmental Change and Sustainability

Visit my blog

And even better, ask me a question!

JHU_Joe

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 02:34 pm »
I completely agree with Miranda, Cafe Hon is amazing and another awesome place in Hampden is Golden West Cafe, my friends and I went there almost every other week during the summer and we never got tired of it.
- Joe N.
Class of 2013
Neuroscience and Psychology Double Major
Ask Me a Question or Follow Me on Twitter!

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.Albert Einstein

JHU_KateT

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 08:07 pm »
I haven't really gone to many restaurants, but my roommate says One World Cafe is amazing. She really likes the not dog and the chili. She loves the cupcakes as well. She's a vegan, so it's perfect for her. I went to a sushi restaurant right by campus that was pretty good too :)
JHU_Kate T.
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
French Cultural Studies
Read all about my life
Ask me a question

"Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed."

JHU_Dominique

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 09:25 pm »
Tamber's is great, they give a lot of food for not bad prices.

Cafe Hon is great too! It captures the essence of baltimore culture and it is actually historically important. i've spoken with the owner before and before she founded cafehon that block was a mess...the restaurant helped to change the dynamics of that street and attracted other business owners. cool!
JHU_Dominique
c/o 2012 , Public Health Studies Major; Africana Studies Minor

Ask me a question! http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2012/meet-jhu_dominique-baltimore-md/

Read my bloggity-blog: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/dominique/

JHU_Becca

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 01:21 pm »
I just recently went to the Brewer's Art in Mt. Vernon (it is both a restaurant and a bar) and the food was absolutely amazing. As for restaurants closer to campus, I love going to cafes like Carma's and Chocolatea-- any place that you can enjoy a great cup of coffee and a good sandwich is a winner in my book!
Becca K.
Class of 2013
Writing Seminars, History of Art
Read my blog!

JHU_Sarah

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 12:06 am »
My favorite place around campus is definitely Chocolatea, the Cafe across from the lacrosse fields.  They have a ton of different kinds of tea, sandwiches, and these delicious rice bowl things.  I also really like Golden West in Hampden - they have a bunch of different omelets and pancake options for breakfast that all sound really good!
Sarah, '13
Molecular & Cellular Biology, Spanish
Check out my blog!
and ask me questions here!

JHU_Allysa

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 08:11 pm »
Over the weekend I was able to go out to two restaurants that I thought were SO good! One was Sandellas, which is right next to campus on St. Paul Street, next to Subway and Chipotle. It's known for its flatbread. Sooo delicious. I also went to Paper Moon Cafe this morning and while the decorations were really bizarre, the food was divine. I had to take a nap afterwards because I ate so much!!
JHU_Allysa
International Studies|Global Environmental Change and Sustainability

Visit my blog

And even better, ask me a question!

JHU_Greco

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 11:39 pm »
There's a really good sushi place up in Towson called Hana Sushi! my a cappella group went there once as a group and had a blast! the food is totally awesome and also the mood of the restaurant is pretty classy and oriental.
Greco Song
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
President - JHU Vocal Chords
Lab Assistant - Gerecht Lab
Twitter: JHU_Greco

Ask me stuff!
http://www.hopkins-interactive.com/forums/meet-the-class-of-2013/meet-jhu_greco-fullerton-ca/

JHU_Jessica

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 03:19 pm »
If I have to limit myself to the area right around the Homewood campus, I'd say Chocolatea Cafe & Tea Lounge. They have a GREAT brunch menu and ten too many kinds of hot (and ice!) chocolates to choose. Combine this with a student discount, and, well, you may be on your way to an addiction.
Jessica K.
Public Health '11

Read my blog
or ask me a question!
"The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities
of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction."

- Rachel Carson (a Hopkins alum!)