Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: History of Science, Medicine and Technology  (Read 1393 times)

JHU_Admin

• Administrator
History of Science, Medicine and Technology
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:26 pm »
Interested in exploring scientific discoveries and the intersection between science and history? History of Science, Medicine, and Technology "concentrates on science and technology since the Renaissance and has particular strength in the history of early-modern science and the history of American science and technology.  Faculty interests extend to such subjects as history of architecture, the emergence of science cities, the iconography of science, science and exploration, and science and religion." Read JHU_Wafa's blog about her love for this major and learn more on the department website.

JHU_Wafa

• Hopkins Student
Re: History of Science, Medicine and Technology
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:30 pm »
The History of Science, Medicine and Technology major is an excellent choice for students of science who also have a passion for the humanities. It is a major with no required courses per se, but rather simply a required number of courses in the department/classes that are cross-linked into the department. That means you can choose if you want to go the traditional "History of Medicine" way or just delve into "Bodyworks: What does it mean to be embodied" - I choose the latter and it has been the most rewarding aspect of being a part of this major.

The major does require science courses, and since I doubled in Neuroscience - all of those classes also counted towards my History of Science, Medicine and Technology major. This department tends to run small - only 30 majors per year but that means that your advisors are always available for advice and meetings, and it also means you can always add into a class listed in HoSMT because we do in fact need them for our major.

As a senior, I have also chosen to write a senior thesis in this department and I am about halfway done with the process and it has been exceedingly rewarding (which, considering I am saying this after counting references in encyclopedias for weeks, speaks volumes). My thesis advisor and major advisor have been nothing short of spectacular in helping me in any way that I asking including requesting resources, bouncing ideas, advice, research tips, etc. The intimacy of the small program is among its best assets, but that doesn't mean that it is lacking in resources or connections - in fact, the department does very well in both of those.

Overall, I stumbled into this major as a freshmen because of an interesting class or two and I haven't looked back since. The small program, amazing professors and fabulous resources have all been part of a great experience as a History of Science, Medicine and Technology major.
JHU_Wafa
Class of 2012
Neuroscience/History of Science, Medicine and Technology
Visit my blog!