Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Mandy  (Read 4759 times)

JHU_Mandy

• Hopkins Alumni
Meet JHU_Mandy
« on: September 14, 2009, 11:10 pm »
Hello!  My name is Mandy and I'm a 2011 graduate with a degree in Public Health Studies.  I'm currently in law school at Wash U in St. Louis.  Feel free to read some of my old Q&A below or ask me a new one! 

You can read my most recent alumni blog entry here: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/buffet/2011/11/from-pre-med-to-1l/
--------------------------------------------------

Why Hopkins?

The reasons why I chose to come to Hopkins are so different from the reasons why I'm glad I chose to come here.  So, first things first, I chose Hopkins because of its outstanding programs in the natural sciences and great preparation for medical school.  However, three majors and a new advising track later, I'm glad I came here because of all strengths across so many different disciplines.  If I had gone somewhere with a strong department in just one major, I would have been quite stuck when I decided it wasn't my calling.  Hopkins is equally great for those who know exactly what they want, and for those of us who only think they do.

Classes

fall 2007
(click here for a blog about these classes)
Organic Chemistry I
Expository Writing: Ethics, Genetics, and Healthcare
Freshman Seminar: On the Road
Intro to Bioethics
Introduction to Personality Theory

intersession 2008
Soren Kierkegaard

spring 2008
(apparently I never wrote a blog specifically about these classes?!)
Organic Chemistry II
Intro Organic Chemistry Lab
Cognitive Neuroscience
General Physics I for Physical Science Majors
General Physics Lab I

fall 2008
Anthropology of Mental Illness
Calculus II
General Physics II for Physical Science Majors
General Physics Lab II
Business Law

spring 2009
Intro to Moral Philosophy
Philosophical Implications of Clinical Neuroscience
International Human Rights Law in US Courts
Law, Psychology, and Public Policy
Fundamentals of Health Policy & Management

fall 2009
Politics and Policy Design
American Constitutional Law
Politics of Health Policy
The Environment and Your Health
Public Health Biostats

intersession 2010
Seminar in International Development and Policy

spring 2010
American Literature to 1865
Elements of Microeconomics
Constitutional Law
Courts, Politics, and Public Policy
Fundamentals of Epidemiology

summer 2010
Elements of Macroeconomics

fall 2010
Economics of Health
The Constitution and Criminal Justice System
Social and Economic Aspects of Human Fertility*
Life and Death in Charm City: Histories of Public Health in Baltimore*
Maternal and Child Health Legislation and Programs*
Health Behavior Change at the Individual, Household, and Community Levels*

(* denotes a class taken at the Bloomberg School of Public Health)

Extracurriculars

student admissions advisory board
SAAB is the group of students behind these posts, the blogs, Facebook groups and pages, Twitter accounts, and other projects that are in various stages of development.

other various admissions involvement
I work part-time in the Admissions office, working with Admissions_Daniel on all sorts of projects.  Some of it is Hopkins Interactive related, other tasks are more related to actual Admissions functions.  Like several other SAAB-ers, I've also been trained to give on-campus interviews as part of the Admissions Representatives group (ARs, for short).  I love meeting with prospective students to hear their thoughts on the process and offer my own experiences at Hopkins.

undergraduate academic ethics board
I joined the Ethics Board during my sophomore year and became presiding official and chair as a junior.  We handle cases of academic dishonesty (cheating, plagiarism, etc.) which is an unfortunate but necessary position.  It's kind of tough sometimes but it's actually been a very important experience for me in my time at Hopkins.

pre-law society
The Pre-Law Society at Johns Hopkins has gone through phases of dying off and being reactivated over and over again.  But now we have a very involved exec board and a lot of interested students, so I think it is here to stay for awhile.  This is basically a resource for students considering a legal education, and as someone getting busy with law school applications, it's great to be a part of.

Dorm Life

Freshman year, I lived in Wolman Hall, in a suite of three girls with a shared bathroom and kitchenette.  I lived in a single but enjoyed living in a suite so I had semi-proxy roommates.  Sophomore year, I lived in a four-person suite in Charles Commons, where each of us had a single bedroom with a shared living room, kitchenette, and two bathrooms.  Junior year, I moved
mandy
jhu class of 2011
public health studies
read my blog!

JHU_Mandy

• Hopkins Alumni
Meet JHU_Mandy - Cary, NC
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:26 am »
hello, again!  Here's a little archive of some past questions I've gotten, with my responses.  Hopefully this will help someone, and if you have any questions about anything you see, or something else, ask away!

Can you tell me what classes I would need to take my fresham year if I am exempt from taking calc.1 and chemistry? - if i were to take 16 credits(Neuroscience major).
is 18 credits the maximum?

and

If Im thinking about going into pre-med, do you recommend a biology major or a neuroscience major? or are they pretty much the same?

Great questions. Let me actually address your second one first. If you're intending to follow the pre-med track, any natural sciences major would allow you to meet the requirements. In fact, you can major in anything you want, just as long as you take the classes required for med school. Here's a list of what most medical schools want you to have taken as an undergraduate.

1 yr. of general chemistry with associated labs
1 yr. of organic chemistry with one associated lab
1 yr. of biological science coursework with associated labs
1 yr. of general physics with associated labs
1 yr. of English (composition and/or literature)
1 yr. of mathematics (calculus and/or statistics)
1 sem. of biochemistry (required by 30+ schools) with associated labs
Up to 24 credits in social sciences and humanities

from the office of pre-professional advising, here: http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/overview.html

Let me also direct you to this other message thread where there's more discussion on the pre-med track. http://z14.invisionfree.com/Hopkins_Forums...p?showtopic=244

As for the neuroscience question: Unfortunately, there aren't really many neuroscience classes offered for Freshmen. There is a class called Physiological Psychology, which is an introductory-level course on relating brain structure to function, basically. This is NOT a pre-requisite for other later neuro classes, so I actually did not take it. In the spring, the freshman class is called Cognitive Neuroscience, which IS a pre-requisite for later classes, so if you intend to major in neuroscience, you really should take this class in the spring.

Freshman year is a great time to take classes that are of personal interest to you, since there aren't too many requirements that you have to get in. This is from the office of academic advising, it's a great place for an overview of the Neuroscience major, and you can check out other majors as well. It has links to the department's website as well. http://www.jhu.edu/~advising/majors_neuroscience.htm

So for you, personally, it all depends on what you're interested in. There is a writing requirement (12 credits total), so I took an Expository Writing class first semester. As far as the Calculus goes, I'm pretty sure they offer Calc II in the fall, so you could take that if you wanted. Biology with lab is another good one to take, especially if you don't have to take Chemistry and lab at the same time. One thing I'll have to say--if you got AP credit for Chemistry, I would NOT recommend taking Organic Chemistry freshman year. I took it this year, but only because I took Chem I and II at a state university during the summer. Organic Chem is extraordinarily hard, not just content-wise, but also because it requires taking a different approach to it, one I was not ready for. Many freshmen who take it end up very stressed...heck, many sophomores and upperclassmen who take it end up stressed! It's hard..I'd suggest waiting until after you've figured out what works for you in university-level classes and once you've established a good learning technique.

And about the credit limits: For freshmen in the School of Arts and Sciences, the limit is 16, but I think 17.5 is allowed IF you take a foreign language. I think that's right...hm..It's only for the engineering students that the freshman limit is 18.

mandy
jhu class of 2011
public health studies
read my blog!

TellyMonster

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:07 pm »
Im so excited about coming to Johns Hopkins , going to the lacrosse games, and enjoying all the activities on campus but that's after I'm done with my homework :D

My major is behavioral biology, which I found interesting. When I first applied to JHU I was like Im going to do PRE MED all the way then it wasn't on the supplement lol...
I am really curious about classes I'm gonna have to take. How does class scheduling work? I'm sure it's not like high school when your counselor just made your schedule and delivered it to you, or is it that way????

JHU_Mandy

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49 pm »
Quote from: "TellyMonster"
Im so excited about coming to Johns Hopkins , going to the lacrosse games, and enjoying all the activities on campus but that's after I'm done with my homework :D

My major is behavioral biology, which I found interesting. When I first applied to JHU I was like Im going to do PRE MED all the way then it wasn't on the supplement lol...
I am really curious about classes I'm gonna have to take. How does class scheduling work? I'm sure it's not like high school when your counselor just made your schedule and delivered it to you, or is it that way????
I love picking classes, browsing through the course listing is very fun.  Basically, what you'll do is look at the requirements for your major, and this link from academic advising is tremendously helpful--it has a link to the major requirements and a sample first-semester schedule.  So take a look at those things for starters, then go through the course listing, which can be found HERE for Fall 2010.  Start making up some possible schedules and thinking about what possible options you'd like as back-ups.  You'll register for your classes in July, and afterwards, your advisor (who is assigned to you alphabetically) will provide you feedback to make sure everything looks okay.

You'll get some materials from Academic Advising prior to registration that basically tell you all of this (and more!) so you have some idea of how the process works, but it's much different from high school!  It's really up to you to take whatever you'd like!

Congratulations on your acceptance to Hopkins :)
mandy
jhu class of 2011
public health studies
read my blog!

hopcopsarecool:)

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:16 am »
Hi Mandy!

I was admitted to JHU with public health as my potential major but since I haven't taken any classes of that subject yet, I'm not sure if I'll like it! How does the changing majors process work? I'm not saying I want to switch now haha but I'm just curious :)

JHU_Mandy

• Hopkins Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:59 am »
First of all, congratulations on your acceptance to Hopkins!

Changing majors is very easy (of course, I'm a pro, but I think even first-time-changers find it to be a simple process).  First, note that freshmen cannot declare a major until the end of the freshman year (at the earliest) and can wait until the end of the sophomore year.

So if you were to come in freshman year, take some public health classes, some other classes and decide at the end of the year that you want to be a public health major (or any other major), you just fill out the "add/change majors" form.  You write in your basic information, which major to add (or change), you sign it, and you get an advisor to sign it (I think...I'm trying to remember if you even need an advisor's signature to add a major, but we'll just say that you do).  Since you were admitted to the university overall, rather than to a particular major, you can come in and choose anything you'd like!  (Exception here is BME, which you have to specifically apply for when you're applying to the university).

If you decide after you've declared a major, at any point, that you want to change majors, add a double-major, add a minor, or anything else, you simply fill out the form again.  You'll want to talk with an advisor if you're thinking about changing majors, but they're only here to help and won't keep you from doing what you want to do.   Also, if you have declared a major, you'll have a faculty advisor in that department (otherwise you have a general freshman advisor).  So, if you do want to change your major, and you're feeling awkward about talking to a faculty member in the department you're getting out of, you can go back and see your freshman advisor or go see someone in the new department -- any signature is fine!

That's kind of a long-winded response, I hope it helps!  Let me know if you have any other questions and congratulations again!
mandy
jhu class of 2011
public health studies
read my blog!