Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Caleb - Bloomington, Indiana  (Read 6618 times)

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Caleb - Bloomington, Indiana
« on: September 18, 2012, 05:07 pm »
Hello, all!  My name is Caleb and I am a Mathematics and Philosophy major.  I actually was born about an hour away from Hopkins in Bethesda, MD but moved to Bonn, Germany not long after.  I then moved to Bloomington, Indiana and have come to refer to it as my hometown after spending the majority of my life there.  Feel free to ask me anything and I will do my best to help you out!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Hopkins?

My decision to attend Hopkins ultimately made itself, but among the multitude of reasons I chose to come here, there are three specifics that held more influence than the others.  First, the mathematics department has a very flexible curriculum for mathematics majors, including a program designed for undergraduates to earn their Bachelor's and Master's degrees during their four years as an undergrad at Hopkins.  I plan on pursuing this program.  Second, I was selected as a Wilson Fellow (see below for more explanation).  Third, and most importantly, the positive emotional reaction I felt after visiting the campus for the first time reassured me that Hopkins was (and is) the place for me.  Homewood is beautiful, and can feel very isolated like every other college campus.  At the same time, all of the perks of big-city Baltimore are readily accessible.  Hopkins is the perfect combination of a classic college experience with all of the benefits of an easily accessible urban setting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classes

Fall 2012
Honors Multivariable Calculus
German Elements
Ethical Topics in Plato (Freshman Seminar)
A Normal Country? German Politics and National Identity

Spring 2013
Linear Algebra
German Elements II
Introduction to Moral Philosophy
Intro Programming in Java

Fall 2013
Real Analysis I
Differential Equations
Intro to Greek Philosophy
Philosophy of Language
Intro to Global Environmental Change

Spring 2014
Advanced Algebra I
Dynamical Systems
Freedom of the Will and Moral Responsibility
Aristotle

Fall 2014
Elementary Number Theory
Marx: A Critique of Political Economy
Introduction to Probability
Advanced Algebra I

On-Campus Activities

Beta Theta Pi: I am a brother of the Alpha Chi chapter of Beta Theta Pi here at JHU.  Joining Greek life has been one of the best decisions I have made at Hopkins.  The opportunities that Beta has provided for me are invaluable, and I encourage everyone to check out Greek life here in Baltimore.

Woodrow Wilson Undergraduate Research Fellowship:  My selection as a Wilson Fellow was major reason that I chose to attend Hopkins.  In short, being awarded a fellowship means receiving a $10,000 grant to conduct independent research under the supervision of a faculty mentor during your four years at Hopkins.  Your research culminates in a presentation in the spring of your senior year.  Additionally, fellows meet regularly and participate in different social outings around Baltimore.  If you are interested in this opportunity, check out the website here and make sure you apply when applying to Hopkins!

SAAB:  The Student Admissions Advisory Board is the whole reason you are viewing this thread, or have read my blogs, or any of the other current students' blogs here on Hopkins Interactive.  SAAB members are volunteers in the admissions office who interact with prospective students through the Hopkins Interactive site, Facebook and Twitter, and the various open house opportunities that Hopkins hosts.  Many of my SAABuddies (thank JHU_Noah for all of the SAAB puns) are also involved in campus tours, among other things, through the Blue Key Society, which is something I hope to get involved with on campus this year, as well.  The application process for SAAB began right before freshman move-in, and the new freshman members were then selected shortly after arriving on campus.  Check out the new Class of 2016 SAABlog here!

Outdoor Pursuits:  I am a Rock Climbing Instructor and Pre-Orientation leader for JHU Outdoor Pursuits, which is one of the groups on-campus that leads trips for various outdoors activities.  The Johns Hopkins Outdoors Club (JHOC) is the other group.  OP is a division of the Experiential Education department of the Rec Center here at Hopkins.  Any student can sign up to attend trips for any of the offered activities (everything from rock climbing (my, and the best, specialty) to whitewater kayaking, to hiking, etc.).  Students interested in leading trips (becoming an instructor like myself or JHU_Zoe) can do so by applying in the fall of their freshman year.  OP is definitely one of my activities that I'm most excited about at Hopkins.  It also helped me land a job on campus, and I now work on staff at the climbing wall in the Rec Center.  As an incoming freshman, Pre-Orientation is one of the best opportunities to meet your future classmates before even moving in on campus and I highly recommend looking into it if you elect to come to JHU.  Plus you would get to do some rock climbing and hang out with me.

Hopkins Club Cycling Team:  Being from Bloomington, Indiana (the location of the Little 500 and the setting for the classic movie Breaking Away) I am big into cycling (yes as in bike riding)!  As such, I am a member of the Hopkins Cycling Club and am planning on racing for the team this spring.

Thanks for visiting, and feel free to post any questions you may have!  I'll do my best to help out.  Check out all of the awesome resources that Hopkins-Interactive has to offer, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water.
If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle.
You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
--Bruce Lee

BlueJayHopeful

Re: Meet JHU_Caleb - Bloomington, Indiana
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:03 am »
Hey, Caleb!

I'm really interested in the Wilson Program! I have read a little about it, and I plan to apply. Can you tell me anything about the application process, and what being in the program has been like?

Thanks so much,
Sam

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:17 am »
Hi, Sam!

I'm glad to see that you are interested in the Wilson program.  It is one of the many awesome opportunities at Hopkins to get involved in research.  If you're considering applying, I strongly urge you to check out the WWP website, which I've linked to in my "about me" section at the top of the thread.  Spend some time on the site- they have some current/previous fellows' projects/papers actually linked on the site, which I found helpful when deciding to apply.

The application itself is not anything to get particularly worried about amidst other college applications and the stresses of senior year, from the "time consumption" standpoint.  It is short and easy to do.  Last year, the application mostly consisted of proposing a hypothetical research project (what you would want to research if selected as a fellow).  When I applied, the link to the Wilson application was on the apply.jhu.edu site.  It will be there again- if you click the "apply now" link, and scroll down, there will be a link to the Woodrow Wilson candidate form.  Currently, the form isn't online, though it should go up sometime in the next couple of weeks!  It is not time consuming at all, and definitely worth doing if you are in any way interested in getting involved in research at Hopkins.  That being said, just because a student is not a Wilson Fellow doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of other research opportunities available.  I just think that the Wilson is one of the really unique, independent programs. 

So far, my experience in the program has primarily consisted of getting acquainted with the logistics of it- how to go about choosing a topic, finding a mentor, dealing with budgets, etc.  I haven't finalized my topic by any means and have so far just been using my time in the program to explore some different options.  I actually just wrote a blog about what my intended project will be- you can find it here.  I'm loving getting involved in my fellowship so far; it is giving me a lot of opportunities to explore different interests and consider research topics I hadn't considered before.

I hope that this info is helpful for you.  I'm quite excited to continue to get more and more involved in the program and actually begin conducting my research.  If you're considering applying, I strongly urge you to do it.  Like I said- the application is quick and easy, but you should still take some time and care with it.  The best part is that the Wilson allows you to be extremely creative in your research (which is probably something that the program supervisors look for when considering candidates..........), so I suppose keep that in mind when filling out your application.

Also, just from the logistics side of the program...  I received my fellowship offer in my acceptance packet last April, but I applied regular decision to Hopkins.  My guess would be, then, that should you apply early decision, you wouldn't find out about the Wilson until around April 1st when regular decisions are released.  Just another thing to keep in mind.

I realize now that this post is a tad scatterbrained, but I hope you find it helpful/useful!  If you are even considering doing research while at Hopkins, I strongly strongly strongly urge you to apply for a Wilson.  If you have any more specific questions about it, or anything, for that matter, feel free to ask!  Also, JHU_Noah and JHU_Ruthie are upperclassmen Wilson Fellows, and so are a tad further along in the process than myself.  JHU_Noah actually has finished his project (or, mostly has, I think) early, so while I'm excited to get my own research going, he would be able to tell you more about what the program is like once you've started conducting your research.

Again, hope this helps!  Keep utilizing the forums if you have any questions!

Best of luck,

Caleb
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

BlueJayHopeful

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:23 am »
Wow, that was a really comprehensive answer! Thanks so much! I really appreciate the help!

Just one last thing...what if my project is not in the sciences? Like, can I be a Wilson fellow even if I end up being an International Studies major?

Thanks!! Sorry for asking so many questions!!!

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:15 am »
Don't be sorry at all!  That's what we are here for.

The simple answer is yes, most definitely.  Plenty of fellows are students in the humanities.  One of the most interesting projects I read about when I decided to apply to be a fellow was about the impact of professional baseball on Venezuela (not related to science at all haha).  As a baseball fan, this student's research was very interesting.

If you're specifically considering international studies, you may want to check out this guest blog:
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/guest/2012/10/hopkins-adventure-abroad-ukraine-and-the-middle-east/

This was written by a current student/IS major.  The entry is lengthy, but incredibly interesting, and all about his Wilson project as an IS major.  If that's a major you're considering, I strongly encourage you to check out the entry!  Maybe it will help you think of research within IS you could pursue.

Another thing to consider is that your research as a Wilson fellow does not have to be tied in any way to your major.  For many people it is, simply because that is where their interests lie, and so that is the kind of research they pursue. But it is totally okay to pursue research outside of your major- plenty of students do this as well.

For science majors, perhaps coming up with a project is easier because they can work in a lab or something similar.  Personally, though, I find that projects outside of science are the most interesting because they allow for more creativity and exploration.

So,YES.  You can definitely be an IS major and be a Wilson fellow.  That's the best part of the Wilson program: it is completely independent.  Your research can literally be about anything you want.

Hope this helps!  Feel free to keep asking any questions you have!

Caleb
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

BlueJayHopeful

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 12:41 pm »
Ahhh that's great! Thank you!! I have no more questions! :)

This is a great website! Keep up the good work!

Thanks again,
Sam

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 01:15 pm »
You're quite welcome.  And thank you!  I hope it aids you in your college decision!
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

Cedric WYX

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:13 am »
Hi Caleb,

Nice to meet you first! I'm Cedric, a Chinese citizen with recent four years studying in Singapore. I'm an applicant to JHU this year and I want to know more about the school before I write my supplement essays. And I'm planning to double major in Applied Maths and chemical engineering, and you are maths major, so you may tell me more about the maths program at the school?

Thank you very much
Cedric

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:08 pm »
Hi Cedric!

I'm excited to hear that you're applying to Hopkins, and more specifically that you're a mathematics candidate.  We have a really excellent math program here.

So, one thing that you should know if you're considering mathematics is that there are really two different majors you can choose from: Applied Mathematics and Statistics, or just a pure Mathematics major. 

A lot of engineering students do what you are considering- a double major in their field of engineering with an applied math degree on top of it.  JHU_Sydney, for example is a BME major and is also earning an Applied Math minor.  This can be done really easily, as a lot of engineering mathematics requirements could conceivably count towards an additional applied math degree.  If you are wanting to do a double major instead of a major and a minor, there would be some additional requirements.  This is a really excellent choice for someone in the engineering and science fields.

I, on the other hand, am pursuing a pure Mathematics degree, or theoretical mathematics.  The classes and requirements are geared less towards applied sciences and real-world applications, and more toward an advanced understanding of complex mathematics, with the goal being that after Hopkins, math students will pursue an advanced degree at another institution and enter the field of mathematical research.  Almost all math majors at Hopkins leave with a position in a professional degree program or with a job as an analyst (at a company like Google, for example).  If I remember correctly, about 70 students per year graduate with mathematics degrees, so it is a somewhat small major.  That being said, I still know several pure math majors who are pursuing a double major with an engineering major, or computer science major.  It is still an excellent choice to do both.

One thing that I will say is particularly beneficial about the pure mathematics major is that there is a dual Bachelors/Masters program that is a major component of why I chose to come to Hopkins.  Essentially, in your standard four years as an undergrad student at Hopkins, you can earn and leave with both degrees- it doesn't cost any extra tuition or fees, and you don't have to stay a fifth year.  You do this by fulfilling some of your Mathematics major requirements with graduate level courses, and thus can earn both degrees.  This is a really cool opportunity for someone interested in pure Mathematics.

Those are two good options for someone interested in mathematics at Hopkins.  Both are excellent programs, you just have to decide which track is more interesting to you- applied, or theoretical.  Either way, you can't go wrong.

Additionally, you can check out http://www.mathematics.jhu.edu/new/, the mathematics department website.  Explore that, too, as it has some valuable information about more specific major requirements.

Good luck with your application!  Feel free to ask anymore questions you may have.

Caleb
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

Cedric WYX

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 03:20 am »
Hi Caleb,

Thank you so much for your information. That helps a lot. Both theoretical and applied maths are interesting to me. For example, I really like number theory, which is pretty much theoretical stuff (side note: my favorite is Fermat's theorem, very interesting). Applied maths attracts me with those interesting applications, eg. cryptography. When I was studying something about RSA cryptography, that really triggered my mind.

Is there any cryptography course???

Thanks
Cedric

Cedric WYX

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 09:35 am »
And can you tell me more about the Wilson program?

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 12:02 pm »
Cedric-

Yes, there is a class offered by the department of Applied Math and Statistics in cryptology and coding.  If that is something that interests you, then you would be well served to take a look at the Applied Math approach.  The pure Mathematics track is going to give you the more theoretical foundation, as I said, but in Applied Math you'll take courses like discrete mathematics, mathematical modeling, statistical analysis, etc. that would be more appropriate if you were specifically interested in cryptology.  And yes, there is a course in cryptology (EN.550.371 Cryptology and coding).

As far as the Wilson program- I posted just a bit before your post (closer to the top of this page) a pretty extensive explanation of the program.  I recommend you take a look at that, as it also hyperlinks to the program website.  Briefly, though, the WWFP is one of the best ways to get involved in undergraduate research on campus.  That isn't to say it is the only method- over 70% of students at JHU are involved in some sort of undergrad research while studying here.  The Wilson program is unique though because it offers you the opportunity to explore an independent research topic.  You don't have to just work as a lab assistant or something of the sort.  You can shape and develop your research in its entirety, and the University gives you the funds to do so.  It is an awesome opportunity, and being offered a Fellowship is a major reason why I decide to come to Hopkins.

Again, just check out my previous post for some more specific information about the program.  One thing I'll say to keep in mind with the Wilson is that if you are awarded a Fellowship, you can pursue research in any kind of field, not just science/lab based research.  A lot of fellows do research in some field of social concern or activism too.  Just something to keep in mind.  Again, if you check out the Wilson website which I linked to in my post above, it will give you a really good sense of what kind of things you can do with a Fellowship (a lot of projects of former students are posted on the site so you can take a look at what kind of research they did, their process, etc.).

So take a look at those things to get a feel for it.  I will say that if you are at all interested in doing research at Hopkins, apply for a Fellowship.  Even if you don't get one, you will have plenty of opportunities to perform research.  I just personally find the Wilson to be very unique.  Also, its been great already having my Wilson advisor Ami Cox available to talk to throughout my first semester at Hopkins, transitioning into school and such.  The organizers of the program are fantastic.

Hope this helps!  Feel free to ask any more questions you might have.

Best,
Caleb
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 12:03 pm »
Cedric-

I apologize.  The Wilson link is actually in the first post on this forum (my bio section), not in the post where I actually discuss the Fellowship.

Caleb
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

Cedric WYX

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 12:00 am »
Hi Caleb,

Thank you very much for your information. I'll have a look at the Wilson program first and may ask more things if I have inquiries.

Thank you again.
Best
Cedric

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 01:46 pm »
Cedric-

No problem!  And best of Luck!

Caleb
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

Deeemy

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 09:07 am »
Hi Caleb!

So on Friday I was admitted ED to JHU Class of 2017!!
I am extremely excited to truly become a Blue Jay in the fall!

One question:
I really want to become part of SAAB when I go... Do I have to apply for that now, or...? What exactly is the process for that?

Thanks! :)

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 12:36 pm »
Hi Deeemy-

First, congratulations on being admitted and welcome to the Blue Jay family!  You should be very proud of yourself.  Johns Hopkins is going to make available some amazing opportunities for you in a variety of ways, and you have certainly earned your place at this outstanding university.

Also, I am excited to hear that you are interested in SAAB!  SAAB has been an excellent way to help me adjust to life at JHU during my freshman fall and I have met some amazing people.  Additionally, it has been an excellent way to meet and interact with prospective and incoming students (like yourself).

As far as joining SAAB- there is an application process that will open this coming summer (before you actually come to Hopkins).  I am trying to remember when the application was announced for my year, and I want to say it becomes available in early July...?  Keep an eye on the JHU Class of 2017 Facebook group for the application link, because that is where it will be posted (and make sure to join the C/o 2017 group if you haven't already!).  Right now, you don't need to do anything for it, though!  Just hang tight, celebrate this major accomplishment in your life, and enjoy your last semester of high school.  You will have PLENTY of to-do items in the coming months to prep for your arrival in Baltimore next fall.

Just to give you a little bit of info on the process: once the application does become available, you will have to submit it usually around the end of August (right before move-in!), so before you actually get on campus.  Can't really tell you much about what is on the application at this point, but it isn't too extensive and gives you some creative opportunities to portray yourself to the selection committee.  Then, the applications are reviewed and X number of applicants are called back for interviews with the selection committee (this happened my first or second week on campus).  Then it is just a waiting game and you will receive notification of whether or not you have been selected for SAAB within a few days.

Like I said, right now you don't need to do anything for SAAB.  Admissions_Laurin will post the application link for SAAB sometime mid-Summer, so just keep an eye on the Facebook group.

Congratulations, again on your acceptance!  We are certainly excited to bring in another Blue Jay and I can't wait to get to know you in the coming months and upon your arrival next fall.

In the mean time, relax!  Have a fun spring semester and get pumped to come to Homewood.  It is a truly special place.

Feel free to post any questions you may have here, or on the Class of 2017 Facebook group.  SAABers actively monitor both and are more than happy to provide any assistance we can!

Congrats again!

Best,
Caleb
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

Deeemy

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 02:28 pm »
WOAH, veeeery detailed response :D
Thank you for all the help, Caleb!

I'm just still so in shock and it kind of all feels too good to be true, ya know, being accepted to my dream school? I'm just so excited!

Can't wait to get to know ya & meet you in the fall!

Thank you for all the information (:

-Demy

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 02:40 pm »
You're very welcome.

There's also hyperlink to the SAAB page of the Student Activities Blog if you scroll up to the top of this page (in my info) where JHU_Kate shares a lot of good information about what responsibilities SAAB members have, what we do, etc.

And I remember these kinds of feelings well.  Even weirder than first knowing that you're going to be attending your dream school is once you are actually here and living it.  Get excited!

Best of luck,

Caleb
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

JHU_LauraG

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 08:39 am »
Hi Calebbb.
So I totally just read your quote. It made my day.

I had to tell you.

:D

<3 Lala
Laura Grau
Psychology, Writing Seminars & German
Class of 2016
Read my awesome blog!

"You can't let the love hide in the darkness."
~Sandy Vanessa Ruiz

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 12:56 pm »
Haha I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Have a good weekend, Lala!

C
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

mdjr

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 09:31 am »
Although I've never seen the JHU campus, I'm really excited that my son was an ED admit into the BME program.  I'm trying to find the best way for us to see the campus in April.  It seems there is SOHOP and then "April visit" days for admitted students.  What is the difference?  It appears that SOHOP may be more crowded and may not give us as detailed look at the campus.  Any input would be welcomed.
thanks in advance.

jr

JHU_Caleb

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 11:48 am »
JR-

First of all, congratulations to your son!

I think that it is great that you are looking for a time to visit campus.  I firmly believe that my campus visit was, more than anything, the aspect of my college decision process that led me to choose JHU.  If you are considering some of the different April options, I'll take a minute to try and explain both as best as possible.

SOHOP:  This weekend event is geared primarily to students who have not yet decided whether or not they will be attending Johns Hopkins.  It is a very intimate experience for the students, as they spend time with a student host and potentially one other prospective student.  The events that are planned for SOHOP are again primarily geared towards students who have not yet decided to enroll at Hopkins.  The admissions office prefers that SOHOP be an event for Regular Decision students who are still making their decision; however, it is still open to all accepted applicants, including those taken during the ED cycle.  What is encouraged, though, is that ED students who do decide to participate in SOHOP only register for the daytime events, as there are a limited number of overnight hosts, and admissions likes to be able to provide the overnight experience for students still making their decisions.  With that in mind, ED students who want to attend SOHOP are encouraged to only participate in the daytime activities.

April Visit Days:  These events are geared towards admitted students, as compared to the general info sessions held throughout the year, and will fairly closely resemble some of the daytime activities of SOHOP.  A general outline of an April Visit Day-

Info Session- this is not like the typical daily info sessions that are offered throughout the year, but is more directed toward admitted students who have enrolled, or are considering enrolling.  These sessions are done in small groups and students are given ample opportunity, and are encouraged to ask some of the more specific questions and concerns that cannot always be addressed during general info sessions.

Campus Tour- again, this is a full tour of our 140-acre campus.  These are only for admitted students, and so similarly to the info sessions, are geared more towards the concerns of a students who has already been accepted and is contemplating enrolling, or has already enrolled.

Lunch with a Student- this is a one-on-one conversation over lunch between the admitted student and a current student at the freshman dining hall.  This also gives admitted students a chance to be on their own, without their parents, to have an intimate conversation with a current student.

In the afternoon, there are engineering specific tours which are excellent.  They focus specifically on the facilities and opportunities within the Whiting School of Engineering; these tours are guided by current engineering students.

Housing tours are additionally offered- THIS IS SOMETHING THAT IS NOT OFFERED ON GENERAL TOURS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR.  Students never really get to see the residence halls except for during these April events.

That is a general outline of the April Visit Days.  Personally, I recommend that you, your son, and your family participate in one of these as he is an admitted ED student.  If the dates don't work, or SOHOP seems more appealing, that would also be fine.  Though, again, we generally encourage ED students to only participate in the daytime events at SOHOP so that students who are still making their decision from the RD pool can be guaranteed the overnight experience.

I hope this helps!  If you have any other questions, or more specific questions about visiting campus, please feel free to ask.

Best,

Caleb B.
Caleb B.
Class of 2016
Mathematics, Philosophy
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
LinkedIn

--Bruce Lee

mdjr

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 12:23 pm »
you're good at this!!!   i sure hope that the administration gives you that discount on your tuition :-)

thanks for the detail and the promptness.

jr

keisha04

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 12:54 am »
Hey as a inspiring future freshman,i wanted to know what SAT subjects you took?