Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_JackieC - Monterey, California  (Read 4688 times)

JHU_JackieC

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_JackieC - Monterey, California
« on: October 11, 2012, 02:45 am »
Hi! My name is Jackie C, and I'm apparently the only SAAB 2016'er from the west coast!

Monterey is about 2 hours out of San Francisco, and Pacific Grove, the little town in which I have lived for the past 8 years, is about 10 minutes outside of Monterey. Previously, I lived in New York, and Korea, although I was born in Houston, Texas. The east coast is a completely different world from my best- I mean, west coast (hah!) roots, but it's been an amazing experience so far. For now, I'm pursuing my backup career of engineer by being a Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering major because my childhood career path of superhero/princess/dictator of the world didn't really work out. I'm also looking into a minor in music.

I've been having a busy, but exciting freshman year, and I'm totally excited about going to Hopkins (and I think you should be too!) so feel free to ask me anything about my experience here, or any question in general!

Why Hopkins?

For 12-year-old Jackie, JHU was just a vague being that ran a summer program I attended for four years called CTY. Nerd Camp, as I affectionately called it, was really the first place, I felt, where wanting to know more things and being interested in learning was cool. For several years, I associated JHU with an intellectual place where being interested in things that were considered weird or nerdy was cool.

This made JHU an obvious college choice for 17-year-old Jackie who was applying for colleges, and attending SOHOP in April after I was accepted only cemented that idea. I'm not going to say that I had the brilliant hallelujah moment during which I decided that Hopkins was the perfect place for me, because my SOHOP experience was rainy, cold, and strangely jet-lagged. Still, over the course of the couple of days I realized that Hopkins was just the right balance of intelligence, cool people, opportunities, and stupid jokes that I needed.

Classes:

Freshman Fall:
Physics I for Physical Science Majors
Physics I Lab
Organic Chemistry I
Linear Algebra
Music Theory and Fundamentals II
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Today

Freshman Spring:
Physics II for Physical Science Majors
Calculus III
Introduction to Chemical and Biomolecular Process Analysis
Western Classical Music
Introduction to Fiction and Poetry

Sophomore Fall:
Differential Equations
Biochemistry
Thermodynamics (A specific ChemBE course)
Music Theory III: Song
Musical Theatre Through the Ages: From Aristophanes to Leonard Bernstein

Activities:

SAAB: This is the reason why you're reading this now! Us SAAB members (or, as I like to call them, the SAABabes) get to talk to you guys and basically act as liaisons between prospective students and families, and the university. I write blogs and talk about my experience at Hopkins, and we meet once a week to talk about the things we can do to basically show you guys why Hopkins is awesome.

The Mental Notes: The Mental Notes are JHU's premier (and only) comedy a capella group! In high school, I sang and was part of theatre, and I've found that the Mental Notes are a great way to incorporate a theatrical element to singing. We sing original parodies of songs, funny songs, and serious songs! We meet 3 times a week, 7 hours a week, to perfect these songs, as well as to bond, hang out, and just have a good time. I like to think we're kind of funny... and that we sing ok, too.

Kappa Kappa Gamma: My new sorority! After I discovered that most of my friends were going through the rush process, I chose to rush as well, and landed in a sorority full of people I love. I'm part of the philanthropy committee, and help to enact community service events on campus.

Dorm Life:

There are going to be people here who will try to skew your opinions with their biased words about how fabulous their dorms are because they have air conditioning or movie theatres. Instead, I'm going to offer my completely objective words about why the AMRs are the best freshman dorm to live in, using very logical and reasonable arguments.

1. The AMRs are the most social dorms. I literally made my first friends at Hopkins by accidentally walking into the wrong hallway and running into other freshmen. At any point, there are people in the halls talking that you can join or ignore, depending on your mood.

2. They're close to everything! You don't have to cross a street to run to class when you realize you woke up 5 minutes before class is supposed to start (although, hopefully that never happens to you...)

3. Who needs air conditioning, anyway? Not us, that's who. I'm not bitter. Nope.

As a sophomore, I've been stuck with placed using the highly fair Hopkins Housing Lottery system into McCoy. I don't have a numbered, bullet-pointed list of why McCoy is the best dorm, because, frankly, I don't know if I believe it's the best dorm for sophomores.

But here goes nothing:

1. It's the cheapest dorm. Seriously, McCoy is affordable, which is super, super important for those of you who have to take financial obligations into account.

2. It's super super close to campus! I cringe at the idea of having to walk all the way back to Homewood after a long night at the library or a cold, snowy day.

3. I'm living with some of my best friends! Because who needs a single room, anyway. Still not bitter. Nope.

Seriously, though, so far, I'm loving kickin it with Johnny Hopkins. Ask me anything about anything! I'm totally down to talk to you guys.

Oh, and before I forget: follow my freshman year by reading my posts on the Hopkins Interactive Freshie Blog here: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2016/author/jackiec/ !
Jackie Choi
Class of sweet '16
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

"You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here."

Erika

Re: Meet JHU_JackieC - Monterey, California
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:52 pm »
Hi Jackie!
I saw that one of your ECs is SAAB and I really want to be involved in this when I go to JHU, so how does one go about applying? And what does the app consist of? Thanks!

JHU_JackieC

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:35 pm »
Hi Erika!

During the summer, the then-current SAAB students kept posting about SAAB and the things they did and how to apply. I didn't think anything of it, honestly, until I had some extra time one day and looked around on hopkins interactive and realized it was something I wanted to be a part of.

On the enrolled students facebook group, the SAAB folks are going to post about the application... finish it early and try not to leave it until the last minute! They asked about my involvement in social media, and basic information, and there were also a couple of suggested blog topics (just for insight into how I would write.)

Hope that helped!
-Jackie
Jackie Choi
Class of sweet '16

sg

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 03:26 pm »
Hi Jackie,
I am trying to find out what a typical starting salary for a BME undergrad or grad is. Also, do you know if/what is the difference in starting pay fro a BME from JHU vs. an average school? Can you please help?
- Swapna

JHU_JackieC

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:27 pm »
Hi!

I'm a ChemBE, and although a lot of my friends are BMEs here, I don't know very much about the specifics. That being said, the starting salary is pretty high for engineers straight out of college; I imagine that, because BME is number one at Hopkins, there would be a difference.

Hope that helps!
Jackie Choi
Class of sweet '16

young_na97

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:53 pm »
Hi Jackie!

I am currently a freshman (almost sophomore) in high school. I read your blog post the other day about being not granted admission to the colleges you applied to. What classes did you take in your sophomore year of high school? [b]Did you take both AP Calc AB and BC during your high school years? Did you take both the ACT and the SAT? [/b]

Also, did your school do class rank? If so, what was your rank?

One of my personal strengths is that I have a very diverse life. I was born in Germany, lived and went to school up to 5th grade, then I moved to the States. Now I am trilingual- I speak/write/read Korean, German, and English! Next year I will be skipping German 3 and take German 4 instead. This means that I will be taking AP German during my junior year. What is your opinion on this?

One of my biggest regrets as of now is that I will only be taking AP Calc AB in my senior year. When I moved to the US from Germany, my parents and I were unaware of advanced/gifted courses for students from such an early start. Another problem was that I had to adjust to the curriculum that was taught here, while learning English. The curriculum difference was massive. How do YOU think colleges like JHU will view this? Will they say "She didn't take the most toughest math course. Waitlist or Reject?" or will they acknowledge the fact that I haven't lived here my entire life? I know that you won't be able to give me an exact answer. But please give me your thoughts.

Thanks!~

JHU_JackieC

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:49 pm »
Hi! I'm SO SORRY for taking so lon to respond to your post! I suck so much!

1. During my sophomore year of high school, I took Geometry/Algebra II/Trigonometry Honors (my school had a funny way of handling math), French II Honors, AP World History, Regular English, and Chemistry Honors.

2. I took AP Calculus BC my senior year of high school! I don't know why you think that's an "only," since that was the honors track at my high school! Also, I have friends who didn't even take AP calculus during their high school careers. I don't even think that's a problem. If anything, taking AP calc BC will be a bonus on your transcript! Don't worry too much.

3. My school didn't expressly do class ranks, but they did quintiles. I was in the upper half of the first quintile, and was part of the Cum Laude society (national honors society equivalent for private schools).

4. If you are very interested in german, take german! It's good to continue your interests during school, so if you love it, then take the AP and continue to take classes in the language!
Jackie Choi
Class of sweet '16

michelle_t

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 10:32 pm »
Hi Jackie,

I'm currently applying for colleges as I'll be a senior this fall, and JHU is definitely high on my interest list. I know that the BME major is very popular in this school, but I'm also rather curious about the biomolecular/chemical engineering.. What would you say the difference is?

Also, I am considering to apply to JHU as an early decision candidate.. In your opinion, to get into the engineering majors of JHU how competitive do you have to be? Our school doesn't do specific rankings, but I am part of the top 9%. Would you say that you have to have stellar academics/ec's to be considered for such majors at this school?

Thanks a lot,

Michelle

Huyme

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 09:35 pm »
Jackie,

I am an incoming freshman for this fall but I am already starting to plan how I want to spend my summer next year. I read in one of your blog posts that you will be in Vietnam for a medical camp. I was wondering if you could give some more information about the program you're in such as how long you'll be there, how does the housing situation work, and how hard was it to get into a program like that. 

JHU_JackieC

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 09:19 am »
Hey, Michelle! Let's tackle each question individually.
I'm currently applying for colleges as I'll be a senior this fall, and JHU is definitely high on my interest list. I know that the BME major is very popular in this school, but I'm also rather curious about the biomolecular/chemical engineering.. What would you say the difference is?
A lot of my good friends are biomedical engineers, and I had the option of eing one. However, I find that the BME major is very specific in that it teaches you the parts of Biology and Chemistry and Physics and a surprising amount of Math that you need to go into a Biomedical field. A friend commented once that he felt like he couldn't change his mind about what career he wanted to go into because he had chosen BME as a major. There are a lot of specific classes, starting from freshman year, so switching out of BME can be a little bit finnickey. That being said, it is the best in the country for a reason. The specialized classes and the specificity of the major means that you're going to get a lot of attention and it's going to be a really great basis for a good BME education.

Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, or ChemBE, as we call it, is different in that it's much more broad. Instead of focusing on the specific parts of each field that is required and having really specialized classes, we have a course load that consists of a lot of different majors' requirements. BME has a "BME version" of a lot of classes. People like to joke that ChemBE is like taking the hardest classes out of each major and putting them together (ie: stealing Biochemistry,Organic Chemistry, and Physical Chemistry from chem, stealing cell biology from biology, A lot of difficult math classes, and specialized engineering specific classes.) What you get out of that, though, is a broader education, and if you end up going into the major, you'll learn that you can apply this to anything from med school to patent law.

Also, I am considering to apply to JHU as an early decision candidate.. In your opinion, to get into the engineering majors of JHU how competitive do you have to be? Our school doesn't do specific rankings, but I am part of the top 9%. Would you say that you have to have stellar academics/ec's to be considered for such majors at this school?

This is real specific to you and situations vary based on everyone. Applying to Johns Hopkins, I think, requires a strong academic background, for sure. We have valedictorians in the class, and we also have people who were nowhere near that mark, and honestly, admissions takes everything into account when they look at your app I'm sure.

That being said, only BME requires a separate application, so don't worry too much about that.
Jackie Choi
Class of sweet '16

JHU_JackieC

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 09:30 am »
Hello, Huyme!

I am an incoming freshman for this fall but I am already starting to plan how I want to spend my summer next year. I read in one of your blog posts that you will be in Vietnam for a medical camp. I was wondering if you could give some more information about the program you're in such as how long you'll be there, how does the housing situation work, and how hard was it to get into a program like that.

I talked about my experience in Vietnam in this blog post: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2016/2013/07/back-in-nam-or-how-i-taught-kids-how-to-take-selfies/#comments

First off, I wouldn't call it a "medical camp" at all, really- maybe a medical internship or mission. We were thrown into a clinic setting and my work consisted of triaging patients and getting them the medications they needed as the resident makeshift pharmacist. I was there for two weeks.

Because it wasn't really a camp, and I didn't really apply for the trip, I can't tell you how hard it was to "get in." I ended up becoming a part of this trip because of connections I had made years ago. Circumstances ended up working out for me to be a part of this trip, which was run by a different university (The University of Wisconsin Madison, and the D.O.V.E. Fund). They took care of procuring a place to stay and all of that, so there was no real process for that- I just had to find a flight, take care of the visa, and show up.

That being said, I will say that a huge part of finding stuff to do during the summer has to do with networking and starting early and googling online. It's a little early for you to be thinking about it, but just keep an eye out in the daily JHU announcements, talk to your advisor, and google your interests. A lot of people hang out at Hopkins during the summer and take classes, which might be a good option for you.
Jackie Choi
Class of sweet '16

NeuroADResearch

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 02:40 pm »
Hey Jackie,

I am applying to JHU pretty soon, and interested in choosing Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. When you applied to JHU was it through commonapp.org? If it was, did you choose chemical engineering or was there a ChemBE option?

Thanks! I saw that for your freshmen year you had great classes. I am taking organic chemistry this year in high school, however, I do not think I will be able to handle Orgo Chem 2 in JHU if that is even possible.

How is the ChemBE seminar/class for freshman year? It seems interesting!

JHU_JackieC

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 11:04 am »
I did apply to JHU through commonapp.org. It was a little while ago, but if i remember correctly, the specific JHU supplement has an "intended majors" section, and you can choose ChemBE there.

Also, I don't know what the restrictions for skipping orgo 1 and going directly into orgo 2 are. That being said, ChemBE itself doesn't actually require Organic Chemistry 2, so unless you're premed, you won't have to take the class!
Jackie Choi
Class of sweet '16