Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_JackieR - Norwell, MA  (Read 3262 times)

JHU_JackieR

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_JackieR - Norwell, MA
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:18 pm »
Hi, guys!  My name is Jackie, and I am a junior Mechanical Engineer (with a minor in Robotics!) from Norwell, Massachusetts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Hopkins?

Johns Hopkins was just the perfect fit for me.  Hopkins has amazing research opportunities, and it also offers a balance of arts and engineering.  I didn't want to sacrifice my humanities for math and science, and at Hopkins, I don't have to!  The campus is gorgeous, and every member of the community is passionate for what he does.  At first, though, I didn't know this.  I applied because Hopkins rounded out my list of colleges, and I was surprised to be accepted. I visited campus and immediately knew where I would be spending my next four years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Classes

Fall 2012:
Calculus II
Introduction to Materials Chemistry
Freshman Experiences in Mechanical Engineering I
Mechanical Engineering Freshman Lab I
Introduction to Mechanics I
Making America: Mastery & Freedom in British Mainland America, 1607-1789
Spatial Reasoning and Visualization for Engineers

Spring 2013:
Calculus III
Freshman Experiences in Mechanical Engineering II
Mechanical Engineering Freshman Lab II
Introduction to Mechanics II
Expository Writing: Fairy Tales
The Nineteenth Century British Novel

Fall 2013:
Linear Algebra
Physics II (for Physical Science Majors)
Physics II Lab
Statics and Mechanics of Materials
Mechanical Engineering Thermodynamics
Mechanical Engineering Thermodynamics Lab

Spring 2014:
Differential Equations
Electronics and Instrumentation
Dynamics
Mechanics-Based Design
Mechanics-Based Design Lab

Fall 2014:
Robotic Sensors and Actuators
Computer-Aided Design
Fluid Mechanics
Fluid Mechanics Lab
History of Modern Theatre & Drama
Materials Selection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Extracurriculars

Student Admissions Advisory Board: SAAB is the reason you are reading this!  We communicate with prospective and admitted students through these forums, blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and various other forms of social media, and in person at Open Houses.

Engineering Ambassadors: I help to give tours of some engineering labs on campus, in addition to talking to prospective students at Open Houses.  If you're on campus in the Fall or Spring make sure to check the tour schedule on the Admissions website and see if you can join us!

Society of Women Engineers:  This organization is exactly like it sounds like: a group of female engineers!  Some of you may have already heard of it, because it is an international organization of engineers of all types and of all levels.  SWE hosts a lot of on-campus events aimed at connecting students with professional engineers and preparing us for various careers.  For example, the last meeting was a resume building and critiquing session.

Habitat for Humanity:  This is another organization you have probably heard of, but if you haven't, Habitat for Humanity is an organization that coordinates volunteers to build homes for families in need.  The Hopkins chapter is working on a particular house in Baltimore, and hosts fundraisers for the projects.

Residential Advisor:
I'm a freshmen RA!  In AMRI, Willard House.

Blue Key Society:
In addition to giving engineering tours, I also give general campus tours with Blue Key.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Dorm

Freshman year, I lived in Wolman on the East side, 7th floor.  I absolutely loved having my own kitchenette: there is a stovetop, sink, mini-fridge, cabinets, and counter all built into the suite.  We also bought various other things, including a toaster oven, with which I made my breakfast in the morning.  We shared our own bathroom, too.  And by “we”, I mean the girls occupying the two doubles in the suite, my roommate and suitemates.  While the FFC (the dining hall) is a short walk away from Wolman, Charmar, Einstein's bagels, the mailroom, a small gym, and various other facilities are all located on different levels of Wolman, making it really convenient to live there.

Last year, I am lived directly next-door to Wolman, in McCoy!  McCoy is a very similar dorm, and again I shared a kitchenette and bathroom with my suite.  However, last year, I lucked out and got a single!  Which means that I had my own room, but still got to live with three of my friends in my suite.

This year, I am an RA in AMRI, Willard House.  Living in the AMRs, which are directly on campus (which means closer to classes and the dining hall), is a totally different experience than my own freshmen year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow Me!

You can read my freshman blog and the blogs of the other 2016 freshmen at: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2016/

Feel free to ask me any questions, and hopefully I'll be able to help!

Thanks for reading!

-Jackie R.
Jackie R.
Class of 2016
Mechanical Engineering with minors in Robotics and Math

Read my blog!
Follow me on Twitter!

“…The free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world.” –John Steinbeck, East of Eden

z.yan

Re: Meet JHU_JackieR - Norwell, MA
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:12 am »
Hi Jackie,

I am applying JHU as my ED school, and yet I am a bit concerned about whether it would be a right choice to study engineering other than BME in JHU. As JHU is most well-known for its BME, will other engineering students receive sufficient attention or help from the professors? I am looking forward to your reply, thank you~

JHU_JackieR

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06 pm »
Thanks for your question!

The BME department may seem pretty separate from the rest of the engineering school because of the special application stuff, but once you get to campus, it's really like any other department.  The BMEs do have a more defined academic plan that makes it nearly impossible for someone to join the program after the start, but many of their classes overlap with the requirements of other engineers and many of the activities they participate in are the same, too.

Because I'm only a sophomore, most of the classes I've taken so far for my major have been Calc, Physics, Chem, etc.  BMEs take the same exact classes.  As I take more advanced classes, this won't really change.  I hope to have a minor in Robotics, and many BMEs with a similar concentration will take classes in my department, and vice-versa.

One of the exceptions to this that I've encountered is that for Physics I, mechanical engineers actually take a two-semester Mechanics course that goes more in depth than a standard course.  Courses like this that are specifically tailored to majors exist in every department and speak to special attention that everyone gets in their own field.  Another example of this is my Freshmen Experiences in MechE course-- I'm pretty sure the BMEs have one that is similar, but that fits their program of study better.

In fact, I would argue that in a smaller department like Mechanical Engineering, students get more individual attention from professors than they might in a larger department like BME.  Specific MechE/ECE/CivE/etc. courses are smaller because less students are required to take the class. Of course, that's all relative, because across Hopkins professors are always willing to help students.

Another huge part of BME is their design projects.  While I don't know much about these specifically (If you have any questions about this, ask JHU_Sydney!), other majors have similar opportunities.  For example, in MechE, all seniors complete a full-year capstone project- something that's funded by private companies and offers a plethora of real-world experience.

When it come to research, generally any type of research can be conducted by any major as long as you have the passion, and in some cases, skills (but usually you can be trained so even this doesn't really matter).  Tons of BMEs do research that most would consider Mechanical, and tons of Mechanical Engineers do research with computer science stuff, and ChemBEs might do research in the Biology department, and so on.  In fact, most of the research at Hopkins isn't department specific anyways, and many majors are collaborating at once on the same project.

I came to Hopkins as a MechE and I have never once wanted to switch out of it.  I have never felt like BMEs were offered more resources or opportunities than me, and I know that my friends in other departments feel the same.  Each department is its own community with its own unique qualities and perks.  You should choose your major because you have a passion for it!

So, in summation, while the BME department at Hopkins is obviously great, MechE is definitely better (okay maybe I'm biased).

Hope that helps!  Feel free to ask more questions!
Jackie R.
Class of 2016

Read my blog!
Follow me on Twitter!

“…The free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world.” –John Steinbeck, East of Eden

z.yan

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 06:33 am »
Thanks a lot for your reply~! It's really helpful. I guess one more reason that I consider JHU as my first choice is because I have never been disappointed by the helpful JHU people~ Hopefully, I could be one of this lovely community and show the passion towards engineering and JHU just as you. Once again, thanks a lot~

JHU_JackieR

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 08:27 pm »
Hey Lauren!

First of all, yay congrats on your application!

To answer your question..

Yes, Hopkins is definitely an academically rigorous environment, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun, too!

In terms of day-to-day life, I actually just wrote a microblog of an average Thursday.
http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/jackier/?p=3893

I feel like how much time you put into your work is a personal preference.  Some people can focus and crank everything out in a shorter time and then they go do other things.  I tend to work with my friends, and while each assignment might take a little longer because I'm more likely to goof off, I get to have fun at the same time.  I also tend to do a decent amount of homework on the weekends so I have more freedom on weekdays to do extracurricular things and watch TV and just generally be lazy aha.

Are there some weeks during midterm season when I spend the vast majority of my time studying?  Yes.  But as my mom always reminds me, I specifically chose Hopkins because I wanted to challenge myself.  I feel like that's a general feeling among the student body.

Also, a great part of college is that you get to choose what you study, so all of your classes interest you directly.  In a sick way, I guess I enjoy hard problem sets, so struggling through some isn't that bad (I mean, better than writing an essay, right?)

So yes, Hopkins can be hard, but it's definitely manageable!  Once you figure out how you function best you'll be able to find your personal balance between schoolwork and other things.
Jackie R.
Class of 2016

Read my blog!
Follow me on Twitter!

lauren123

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:19 pm »
Thanks so much for your answer! An education from Johns Hopkins is definitely worth a little extra stress! And knowing that mostly everyone there feels the same way is relieving.
Thanks again!

liagarkie

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 11:58 am »
Hi Jackie!

I am so excited to have found your thread! I am also a girl on a FTC Robotics team, and dream of studying mechanical engineering or materials engineering at Hopkins! In your list of extracurriculars you did not mention a robotics team. Does Johns Hopkins have their own robotics team? I would also love to hear about what type of projects you have done in your mechanical engineering labs/classes!

-Lia

JHU_JackieR

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 03:38 pm »
Hi Lia!

I'm so sorry this post took me so long to respond to- I just saw it today!

In fact, a robotics club for undergraduates just started this semester!  I have not had the opportunity to join this semester because I'm busy doing other things, but I hope to help out next year.  I'm not sure exactly what kind of robot they are building, but I know there's a lot of room for new ideas as they figure out what will work best.

There's also a club that mentors middle-schools in VEX robotics.  It reminded me a lot of my FTC days.

I have a robotics minor, so I will definitely be playing with robots in class!  Most of those classes will start next year, though, so I don't have any specifics to offer now.  Currently my biggest MechE project is for Mechanics-Based Design.  We're building cranes that use gears and pulleys and all that fun stuff to lift a 10 lb load using a small motor.  Last year, we designed cars that moved along a rope and dropped a load using only mousetraps and rubber bands for power.  And, of course, there's various lab classes that we have every week where we play with drill presses or breadboards or engines, etc.

Hope that helps!  Again, sorry for the delayed response.  Let me know if there's any other questions I can answer or if there's anything specific that you're interested in!
Jackie R.
Class of 2016

Read my blog!
Follow me on Twitter!