Welcome to the Hopkins Forums!

Welcome to the Hopkins Forums! You are currently viewing our forum as a GUEST, which means while you'll be able to view all of the content of our forum you won't be able to reply or ask your own new questions. If you're already a member, please login using the form below. If you would like to register for the Hopkins Forums so you will be able to post your own questions, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Click here to begin the registration process.
  2. Read the registration agreement and make sure you fully understand the rules of our forum before agreeing.
  3. Fill out the required information, and enter the verification code.
    • If you'd like to connect your Facebook account to our forums, click on the corresponding button and follow the instructions.
  4. Click "Register".
  5. That's it! All you have to do now is click on the verification link in the email address you registered account with.

Author Topic: Meet JHU_Madeline - Baltimore, MD/Berkeley, CA  (Read 3487 times)

JHU_Madeline

• Hopkins Student
Meet JHU_Madeline - Baltimore, MD/Berkeley, CA
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:38 pm »
Hello! I’m Madeline. This is my freshman year at Johns Hopkins. I’m from Baltimore, Maryland (and an honorary citizen of Berkeley, California as well). I am an International Studies major, with a specialization in Arabic.

Why Hopkins?
One of the best aspects of Hopkins is the richness of the student body—and the large presence of International students. Homewood’s campus really does bring the world to Baltimore through its students that hail from around the world.  I also love that Hopkins has no core requirements, which enables  students to choose the classes that interest them most.

My Fall 2012 Classes Included . . .
•   Second Year Arabic
•   Constructivism
•   Contemporary International Politics
•   Macroeconomics
•   The Medieval World

Spring 2013
•   Second Year Arabic (part II)
•   Hasidism
•   Economics
•   Brazilian Culture and Civilization
•   Law Psychology : Clinical Application

Fall 2013
•   Third Year Arabic
•   Power and Racism
•   Topics in Postwar European Art
•   Arab-Israeli Conflict
•   The Archaeology of Imaginary, Entangled, Hybrid Globalizations
•   An Anthropology of the City

My Extracurriculars

Debate Team: I am a member of the Johns Hopkins Debate Team. I love debate. It’s so much fun to discuss issues that range from nuclear weapons in Iran to a Soda Ban. On the team, we have the opportunity to travel often and meet students from so many different colleges in the country. This activity definitely has challenged me and improved my ability to think quickly and then express myself (semi-coherently).

Foreign Affairs Symposium:
This is such a great activity. This club is responsible for choosing speakers, and then planning and organizing the Foreign Affairs Symposium, which brings speakers to campus to discuss important contemporary issues. Previous speakers include Ayaan Hirsi-Ali, Thomas Friedman and Francis Fukuyama!

Johns Hopkins Model United Nations Conference: This is an activity focused on preparing for the conference Johns Hopkins hosts in February for high school Model United Nations. We are expecting over 1,600 students from across the nation. I am involved in the legal committee and am really eager to research the cases that the students will discuss during the conference. I can’t wait until the February conference is here!

SAAB: The Student Admissions Advisory Board is comprised of the students on these forums that get to help out prospective students! We’re here to allow students to get a clearer picture of what life is actually like at Hopkins.

Dorm Life
I have an adorably-decorated dorm room in AMR I. I love the location of the dorm, which is conveniently on the freshman quad. It’s great to be on campus and near many of my friends in the AMR II as well.

Follow me!
I love to blog and so please check out my posts that can be found here: http://blogs.hopkins-interactive.com/2016/author/madeline/

I’m happy to answer any questions, so . . . post away!

All the best,

Madeline
Madeline
Class of 2016
International Studies

BlueJayHopeful

Re: Meet JHU_Madeline - Baltimore, MD/Berkeley, CA
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:07 am »
Hey, Madeline!

I really like Hopkins a lot, and I think I'm going to apply, but I have no idea what I want to study. I like politics and international relations, so I think that might be an option, but I also like Biology. Can you tell me what it's like being an International Relations major at Hopkins, and why it would be better than say a Biology degree? :P

Thanks,
Sam

JHU_Madeline

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 04:26 pm »
Hi Sam!

One of the best aspects of International Studies (IS) is its interdisciplinary nature. As an IS major, I have the opportunity to take classes in a lot of different departments like history, political science and economics, while fulfilling major requirements. Then, I can take classes that are not a part of the major, like biology or english.

International studies is a great major because it does not limit you in any way for jobs. I know IS majors who are pre-med, pre-law and also those (like me!) who still are exploring a variety of jobs options and graduates schools after my years at Hopkins.   

Also, the IS major has a program with the SAIS, Hopkins' graduate school in Washington, D.C. If you want to pursue this program option, you can take classes in D.C. as a junior, and with only one extra year of school (so in 5 years total), you will have a bachelors and a masters degree! Wohooo!

My favorite aspect of IS is that everything I learn is so applicable to what's going on around me. In the previous presidential debate about fiscal policy and the economy, I felt as if I could hear some of my Macroeconomics professor's words echoing through my head. With IS classes, when you learn, you can immediately apply it to the world.

With your interest in biology, I would also recommend looking into the Public Health major. It's common for people to pursue a double major in Public Health and International Studies (like JHU_Alyssa). Like the IS program, the Public Health program is great at Hopkins. Public health has more of an emphasis on biology and the sciences, so this may be another possibility for you.

I'm so glad that you like Hopkins thus far. Please feel to ask me for any more details about my major or life at Hopkins!

Best, Madeline 

Madeline
Class of 2016
International Studies

saraferu

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:43 pm »
Is it possible to major in Biology and minor in International Studies, or is IS only offered as a major?

JHU_Madeline

• Hopkins Student
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:00 pm »
Hi!

At this point, it is only possible to major in International Studies. However, most of the courses that are offered as a part of the major are open to all students regardless of their major. Also, if one particular aspect of the IS major interests you most, like economics for example, it may be possible to minor in that area.

Feel free to ask me any details about the IS major or classes!

Best, Madeline
Madeline
Class of 2016
International Studies

mdjr

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:44 am »
Although I've never seen the JHU campus, I'm really excited that my son was an ED admit into the BME program.  I'm trying to find the best way for us to see the campus in April.  It seems there is SOHOP and then "April visit" days for admitted students.  What is the difference?  It appears that SOHOP may be more crowded and may not give us as detailed a look at the campus.  Any input would be welcomed.
thanks in advance.

jr

Shahrazad Abbas

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 01:10 am »
Hey Madeline,

I'm very interested into going to Johns Hopkins, It's been my favorite university since I was a child. I wanted to know how to get to Johns Hopkins with GED diploma. Can you please let me know about the steps into going to Hopkins ( knowing that I'm a foreign student from Iraq and been in the US for almost four years)

Thanks,

Shahrazad,

Triana.rivera

• Future OB/GYN
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 08:02 pm »
Hi Madeline!

I read about the fact that you help with the Hopkins MUN Conference, but is there a MUN team at Hopkins? I'm one of the GA members at my school and we always win first place at every conference. And if there is a MUN team, how can I get more information on it? Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Sincerely,
Triana Rivera

CallMeFebreze

• I want to be successful and happy.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 09:12 am »
I'm a sophomore in high school and Johns Hopkins is my dream school. I want to know if I'm on the right track. Could you possibly share what advanced classes you took in high school and what your grades were?  Also, since you're an  International Studies major, which is what I want to study, have you taken any advanced math classes in college? I'm trying to determine what math classes I need to take in  the next two years.

Thank you so much!